Microneedling is the latest scientific technique to slow down and even reverse aging of the skin. This is a scientific method of stimulating epithelial cells, melanocytes and fibroblasts in the skin. Collagen and elastin form the framework of the skin matrix and rest of the skin components are dependent on this matrix for proper functioning. As we age, the long collagen fibrils in the skin start fragmenting and it’s not replaced by the fibroblast leading to collapse of the scaffolding of the skin. This leads to sagging, wrinkling and thinning of the skin.
Dermatologists have been using laser, ultrasound and radiofrequency to heat the skin. The purpose of heating the skin is to coagulate the major proteins of skin: collagen and elastin. An egg white also coagulates when heat is applied but coagulation produces an unnatural structure of the proteins. I don’t’ believe in heat damage to the skin as a way to slow down or reverse aging. The skin to which heat is applied looks like a mask and looses its elasticity.
I don’t believe in heat damage to the skin as a way to slow down or reverse aging.
Microneedling involves creating thousands of micro-holes in the skin. This achieves many objectives.
- only about 5% of the cosmetic products penetrate the skin due to the epidermis which forms a strong barrier. The thousands of holes in the skin produced by microneedling allows more than 80% of the cosmetic products to enter the skin. This way we are able to deliver all the essential building blocks of collagen, elastin and proteoglycans which are the major components of skin
- microneedling produces micro-injury in the epidermis thus releasing growth factors involved in skin healing. These growth factors stimulate the fibroblast to lay down new collagen, elastin and proteoglycans, thus creating a young healthy looking skin.
- the skin healing response to microneedling is similar to fetal skin healing and dissimilar to adult skin healing. The skin healing response to heat injury by laser, radiofrequency and ultrasound is similar to adult healing which in turn leads to formation of abnormal scar like collagen.
- The results of microneedling thus take time such as 6 months because it’s trying to recreate young skin but the results of heat treatments like laser, ultrasound or radiofrequency quicker because they produce effects by abnormal coagulation of the skin proteins
SkinPen is a medical grade, state-of-the-art microneedling device designed to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and scars on the face and body. SkinPen allows for controlled induction of the skin’s self-repair process by creating thousands of precise micro-injuries in the dermis, automatically triggering new collagen synthesis without causing scar tissue formation.
The variable depth (.25mm to 2.5mm) of SkinPen and the cordless design provide significant versatility to create change in many areas of the body, including the face, neck, chest, arms, hands, legs, abdomen and back. The actual procedure typically takes 30 minutes depending on the size and number of areas treated and the severity of damage on the skin and results in little to no downtime for the patient.
Benefits of microneedling:
- scars including stretch marks
- wrinkles and sagging skin
- sun damaged skin, sun spots, actinic keratosis
- melasma, hyperpigmentation or uneven pigmentation of the skin
What to expect:
consultation with Dr. Uppal
- 1 month of skin preparation for microneedling
- after the first microneedling procedure, you will be given the post microneedling skinfuse system by SkinPen which includes 5 products which have to be applied to skin as directed till the next microneedling treatment
- there will be 3-4 microneedling treatments spaced every 5 weeks
- after completion of the microneedling treatments, you will be given directions on how to take care of the skin and come back for yearly microneedling.
- The process of transformation of aged skin to a younger healthy skin takes months and typically more than 6 months