FRACTIONAL LASER SKIN RESURFACING
Halo uses 2940 nm Er-YAG to deliver 100% pure ablation between 0 to 100 microns into the epidermis and 1470 nm diode to deliver 100% coagulation between 100 to 700 microns to the epidermis and dermis. This gives Halo the unprecedented ability to provide separate treatments to the epidermis and dermis Orion Aesthetics uses the best laser skin treatment machine in USA called Sciton Joule. We feel we are the best in the greater Sacramento area in using the laser technology for skin anti-aging, contracting loose skin, rejuvenating photodamaged skins, treating scars and skin pigmentation.
HALO can treat all skin types, on face and body. Popular off-face treatments include: neck, chest, arms, hands, and legs. HALO by Sciton sets the standard for the future of laser resurfacing by providing a safe, tunable, and effective long-term hybrid option for resurfacing treatments.
Halo, the world’s first Hybrid Fractional Laser, combines the best attributes of both non-ablative and ablative fractional lasers. It helps you get ablative-like results with non-ablative-like downtimes.
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sun damage/dyschromia
- Skin resurfacing
- Scar revision (including acne scars)
- Signs of aging
- Pigmented lesions
- Improves appearance of enlarged pores
- Medical dermatology/Actinic Keratoses
HALO Patient Benefits
- More comfortable than traditional fractional resurfacing
- Fast healing, patients back in make-up within 24 hours
- Low downtime, patients are able to go back to work within a couple of days
- No occlusive post-care
- Noticeable improvement within week
Hybrid Fractional Lasers offer a customized treatment with maximum results and low downtime. HFLs work by delivering ablation sequentially followed by coagulation to the microscopic thermal zones. HALO has two lasers that work together and is very rare in Cosmetic Dermatology in the same treatment spot. A fractional treatment, (whether ablative or coagulative), allows the epidermis to heal quickly as long as the dermis remains intact. This is because basal keratinocytes can migrate across the fractionated holes quickly. When less than 100 microns of ablation is used, the epidermis regenerates within 24 hours. The ablated epidermis is allowed to heal quickly while the coagulated dermis regenerates more slowly over a period of 7 days.
HALO TECHNOLOGY AND MECHANISM OF ACTION:
Adding tunable ablation to a non-ablative treatment creates varying effects when different levels are used. Using 20micron ablation of the epidermis causes faster clearance of microscopic epidermal necrotic debris (MENDs). If you ablate close to 100 microns, it seems to create a synergistic wound healing response which gives you ablative-like results with non-ablative downtime. During a non-ablative treatment, a column of the skin is heated to a temperature that causes necrosis of the epidermis and denatures dermal collagen. In the first 24 hours, the basal cell layer regenerates across the MTZs, under the necrotic epidermis, and then proliferates upwards, expelling the necrotic tissue. This necrotic tissue becomes small packets of debris, which are called microscopic epidermal necrotic debris, MENDs that are trapped under the stratum corneum, taking between 2 to 7 to days to clear.
Performing a 20micron ablation followed by coagulation allows faster removal of MENDs. By removing the stratum corneum, the MENDs are free to exit the skin within a day of forming. This results in 1 – 2 days faster healing time as compared to non-ablative treatments. Ablating tissue creates a stronger wound healing response than just coagulating the tissue. This wound healing response can be leveraged by adding more ablation during a Halo treatment. Adding up to 100 microns of ablation removes some of the tissue that would otherwise be trapped near the surface, eliminating any MEND formation and limiting adverse events near the surface. In addition, the increased wound healing response in ablated tissue has a synergistic effect when combined with coagulated tissue though activation of Activator Protein 1 transcription factor leading to upregulation of Matrix Metalloproteinases, which drive dermal remodeling. The combination of the ablated epidermis inflammatory response with the denaturing of the dermis’ collagen probably accounts for the greater, ablative-like results that are seen with a hybrid fractional treatment.
Adding tunable ablation to a non-ablative treatment creates varying effects when different levels are used. Low levels of ablation (up to 20 microns) cause faster clearance of microscopic epidermal necrotic debris (MENDs). Heavier levels of ablation (up to 100 microns) seem to create a synergistic wound healing response. The clinical effect is ablative-like results with nearly non-ablative-like healing.
• The 2940 nm wavelength targets the epidermis or top layer of the skin and is tunable between (20-100um) to precisely vaporize tissue in a controlled manner to address textural issues and pore size.
• The 1470 nm wavelength targets the dermis is tunable to (250-700um) to address deeper sun damage, stimulates collagenesis, and other dermal pigmentary issues.
• Each wavelength can be tuned independently for precise coverage and depth.
Beyond the hybrid technology that makes HALO so unique are many features that help improve usability and safety.
1. Integrated Cooling and Smoke Evacuation
2. Independently tunable 1470 nm and 2940 wavelengths
3. Dynamic Thermal Optimization DTO technology
4. Optical Navigation
5. Adjustable Beam Placement (ABP)
6. Available on the expandable JOULE platform
HALO offers the flexibility of completely turning off ablation for users that are not qualified to use an ablative laser (state by state regulation) or for those looking for the simplest laser treatments. Both the ablative and non-ablative laser wavelengths can be delivered in the same pass, and many permutations of depths and density coverage are possible.
The HALO hand piece includes integrated air cooling and smoke evacuation. The integrated cooling provides cold air across the treatment zone which provides patient comfort while smoke evacuation provides safety for the patient and operator. The integrated design makes it easy for treatments to be performed by one person.
Dynamic Thermal Optimization (DTO) is built into HALO to automatically adjust the power of each individual 1470 nm pulse based on the temperature of the patient’s skin. This feature makes HALO the most precise, safe, comfortable, and consistent non-ablative technology on the market.
The high-speed optical navigation system on the HALO hand piece captures the motion of the hand piece hundreds of times every second to track the speed with extreme precision. Combining the optical navigation with sophisticated software to map the patient’s skin, the safety of the treatment increases and creates a consistent treatment from beginning to end.
ABP (ADJUSTABLE BEAM PLACEMENT)
• Change both the size and position of the delivery beam
• Three beam sizes: 15 mm, 7 mm, or 4 mm
• Two beam placements: left or right
• Treat areas with distinct edges and linear scars
STEPS INVOLVED IN THE PROCEDURE
- Consultation, where Dr Uppal determines which one of the three resurfacing treatments will suite you and how many treatments will be needed to help restore the skin to its original glory which is young healthy skin!
- Minimum of 4 laser treatments are done to help restore and rejuvenate the skin. More treatments can be also done if the amount of work to be done is large. You will be under the care of Dr Uppal for 4-6 months during the skin rejuvenation period and visiting the office 1-2 times a month during this process.
- We watch your skin transform under close supervision because doing the skincare right is the most important thing in getting the best results with laser skin resurfacing.
- You are started on a skincare regimen before the procedure and the length of the skin care regimen depends on the amount of work that needs to be accomplished to get the job done. Your skincare will change multiple times during the 4-6 month period of skin rejuvenation because without topical prescription drugs, its not possible to get good results with Laser Skin Treatments
- On the day of the Halo or Profractional or TRL laser procedure, someone has to drop you off and pick you up. Fluids only for the most recent meal of the day since vomiting sometimes occurs after the procedure is over.
- The office staff will go over the post-procedure instructions with you before the start of the procedure and before you are given any sedating medications.
- The appointment is for 3 hours which includes 1.5 hours of procedure and rest is pre-procedure prep and post-procedure cooling time. You will not remember the procedure because of the injections of drug cocktail given before and during the procedure. The drug cocktail has a mixture of anti-anxiety and pain medications. Most people sleep through the procedure.
- The anesthesia given during the procedure resolves 30 min to 1 hour after the procedure and then you can walk out with assistance or taken out in a wheel chair to the car which is supposed to pick you up after the procedure.
- The staff of Orion Aesthetics will follow up with you on daily basis for the next 7 days after the procedure to make sure you are taking care of your skin properly and there are no complications. You are given detailed instructions how to take care of your skin at home, the exact steps of the skincare involved in post-procedure recovery.